Those who know me understand why cooking with only a couple simple ingredients are a must. My mind begins to wonder if I see more than 5 ingredients to a recipe! I’ve been following a couple Facebook pages for the past year and I’ve gotten a ton of great recipes that are healthy, simple, and delicious! Here are my favorites sites and my typical meal prep week.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_hSiN052g (This is the video that got me started on meal prepping)
We’d love for you to
your favorite healthy recipes to meal prep!
Kim’s meal prep routine: When I first began meal prepping for the week it took me about 4-5 hours from start to finish but after getting a routine I am able to complete this in under 3 hours!
- Preheat oven to 350*
- In a large bowl combine 12 eggs, 4 cups spinach, 1 cup diced peppers, 1 small onion, 1 cup diced mushrooms, 8 oz ground sausage, and 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Mix all the ingredients well. Spray a 9×13 pan with olive oil and pour the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 55-60 min or until middle is firm.
- Cut up 1 large head of cauliflower and 2 small heads of broccoli. Spray a 9×13 pan with olive oil and then place the broccoli and cauliflower in the pan. Lightly coat with olive oil and seasonings of choice (I use garlic, salt and pepper). Bake for 45-50 min or until veggies can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with olive oil. Cut 2 large sweet potatoes into bite sized pieces leaving the skin on. Then place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and lightly coat with olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Bake for 50-60 min or until sweet potatoes are tender. (I like mine a little more mushy, but my family likes them more crisp so play around till you get the texture you like)
- Grill 1 lb chicken and divide into 4oz portions (approximately 4 servings), add 2 cups of the veggies above and 4 oz of sweet potatoes to complete your meal!
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Tear 4 large pieces of aluminum foil and spray the insides with olive oil. Cut the ends off 1 bunch of asparagus and divide between 4 Then place 4 oz fish fillets (my favorite is salmon) on top of the asparagus and squeeze lemon juice on top of the fish as well as salt and pepper to taste. You can also add lemon pepper seasoning if you’re like me and can’t get enough lemon! Fold the foil leaving space inside for air to circulate but sealing the ends so juice won’t escape. Place in the oven for 30 min or until the fish is opaque. While the fish is cooking put on 4 servings of rice and divide it into 4 containers. When the fish is done cooking simply open the foil, allow it to cool and place contents over the rice. (Add the juice to the rice to help flavor it)
- Brown 2 lbs ground beef or turkey and divide into 1 lb portions.
- Cut a large spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash skin side down on a microwave safe dish. Add 1 in of water to the bottom of the pan and cover the squash and pan tightly with saran wrap. Place it in the oven for 15 min. When it is done remove it carefully, uncover the squash, allow it to cool and then using a fork scrape out the inside and divide into 4 separate containers. Top the squash with 4 oz of ground beef or turkey, salt and pepper. (I will often add veggies to the spaghetti squash to pump up the fiber and make it a one container meal)
- In a frying pan add 2 medium sweet potato and sautee for 10-12 min or until it’s tender and slightly brown. Add 1TBS coconut oil, 1 cup chopped red pepper, 1 cup chopped red onion, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 3 cups spinach and saute until veggies are tender. Add 1 lb ground beef or turkey and mix well. Allow it to cool and then divide into 4 containers.
- Hardboil a dozen eggs
- Cut up a large bunch of romaine lettuce and place into a bowl.
- Cut up veggies and place into containers to make a quick salad.
If this sounds overwhelming to you don’t worry! I didn’t start this way. Pick 1-2 recipes to meal prep for the first couple weeks and start to work on creating variations in those recipes. Mix up the spices, proteins, etc and soon you will have lots of different options for the week.